11 Eco-Friendly Kitchen Products That Will Satisfy Your Cravings Without Eating Up Your Wallet
Of all the rooms in your apartment, it’s no surprise that the kitchen creates the most waste. From the utensils you use to the cuisine you cook to the containers you store it in, there are countless ways you can be harming the planet by merely whipping up a bowl of pasta.
You don’t have to retire your chef hat, though, or break the bank with all-new appliances or cookware sets. By simply replacing some of your everyday kitchen products with affordable eco-friendly alternatives, you can reduce your carbon footprint - and even save money in the process. Talk about a win-win!
Add these sustainable products to your shopping list:
- Reusable Bamboo Towels: Next time you spill in the kitchen, reach for a roll of bamboo towels. While they may look like your ordinary paper towels, they are more durable and absorbent, allowing you to wash them up to 120 times.
- Green Cleaners: Speaking of spills, there are a variety of eco-friendly cleaning products made from biodegradable and plant-based ingredients to choose from. Best of all, the majority are free of bleach, perfumes and dyes that are harmful to your health. Looking to save a few bucks? You can create your own homemade green cleaning solutions with simple items you already have in your kitchen such as lemon juice and vinegar.
- Silicone Baking Mats: Are you a cookie connoisseur? Silicone baking mats are a great way to enhance your eco-friendly cooking efforts without shelling out for an all-new set of “green” cookie sheets. The reusable mats feature nonstick coating, so there’s no need to grease your baking sheet or load on aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Sandwich Wraps: The single-use plastic bags that carry your beloved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches quickly add up. Have a waste-free lunch when you utilize reusable sandwich wraps. They not only keep your favorite midday meal fresh, but unfold as a placemat when it’s time to eat.
- Bento Boxes: Need more than just a sandwich? Reusable bento boxes feature multiple compartments so you can store your main dish as well as your sides all in one container. The one-piece design also makes for a quick clean up, and you never have to worry about losing or mismatching lids.
- BPA-Free Glass Water Bottles: Investing in a glass water bottle will not only further reduce your contribution to the plastic pollution crisis but eliminate your exposure to the hormone-disrupting chemicals found in plastic water bottles. Opt for something sporty or stylish, or add a sweet note to your hydration with a fruit-infused bottle that’s shatterproof.
- Reusable Drinking Straws: There’s a reason brands such as Starbucks® and Walt Disney® are out to ditch single-use plastic straws. Sip your favorite beverages without creating waste and putting marine life at risk by investing in reusable bamboo, glass or stainless-steel drinking straws.
- Produce Bags: You’re probably familiar with the concept of bringing your own bags to the grocery store, but what about bags specifically for your fruit and veggies? Reusable mesh bags not only eliminate the use of those plastic baggies at the grocery store or farmers market but allow ethylene gas (nature’s ripening agent) to escape so your apples, oranges and avocados stay fresh for a longer period of time.
- Compostable Disposable Plates: Even the most eco-conscious individual can be tempted to reach for disposable tableware when it comes to entertaining a large crowd. Skip the guilt and opt for durable compostable plates made from baked grass fibers and tapioca starch, and discover why they’ve caught the eye of celebrities including Martha Stewart and Whoopi Goldberg.
- Serving Ware: Continuing with the entertaining theme, you can easily upgrade your hostess game while helping the environment by investing in serving trays and boards crafted from sustainably harvested bamboo. They’re sold in a variety of sizes and designs, so you can go green without sacrificing your style.
- Dish Drying Rack: When it’s time to rinse off your serving ware, give your dishwasher (and energy bill) a break when you utilize a dish drying rack. These energy-efficient, eco-friendly racks have made a comeback in a variety of recycled materials and styles to simplify cleanups.
Looking for more sustainable living tips? We’re just getting started. Get inspired by Greystar’s green initiatives going on now.
Sustainable September Blog Posts Coming Soon
- From old glass bottles to your leftover toilet paper rolls, there are many ways to glam up your apartment. These helpful tips incorporate sustainable living.
- Sustainability doesn’t require making major purchases. In fact, some of your day-to-day habits may already positively affect the earth. Learn about a few more small steps that can decrease your impact on the environment.
- Now that you know how to implement sustainable practices into your own life and apartment living, check out how 10 cities with tons of Greystar apartments stand out when it comes to going green.
The information presented on or through this Website is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to this Website, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents. Any reference to amenities, services, rules, policies, or procedures at a Greystar apartment community is general in nature, and each Greystar apartment community may have amenities, services, rules, policies, and procedures that differ from those referenced on this Website. Please consult with your Greystar apartment community for the exact amenities, services, rules, policies, or procedures applicable.
This Website may include content provided by third parties, including materials provided by other users, bloggers, and third-party licensors, syndicators, aggregators, and/or reporting services. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by Greystar, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Greystar. We are not responsible, or liable to you or any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.