Make your holiday even greener, by making simple and responsible substitutions like recycled gift wrap and using an artificial tree.
Offset Carbon Footprints, Shop online
Rather than burning gas driving around searching for the perfect gift, shop online instead. Having your gifts shipped directly to an out of town recipient saves even more energy by minimizing transportation costs.
Recycle and Natural Decorations
Rather than buying plastic ornaments, wreaths and decorations shipped from overseas, make your own from pine cones, holly, and evergreen branches. Christmas tree lots will give always trimmings off the bottom of trees. After the holiday season, recycle your tree and other natural decorations rather than sending it to the landfill. Check your local resources for tree recycling locations.
Consider giving eco-friendly or homemade gifts to those on your shopping list. Some green gift ideas include:
- Energy saving items
- Books on green living
- Public transit passes
- Donation to organizations that support the environment
- Homemade gifts and baked goods
Eco-Friendly Gift Wrapping
The cost of gift wrapping can be high. Here are some ways to save money and be eco-friendly:
- Buy gift wrap made from recycled materials.
- Make your own from cloth, newspaper and other materials.
- Rather than buying expensive boxes, reuse boxes from shipping and past gifts.
- Save wrapping paper from gifts you received last year.
Give digitally. Each year 200,000 trees will be cut down to make holiday cards. If you choose to send a card, look for recycled cards or send one electronically!