Get a Jump on Your Spring Cleaning
Spring officially begins on March 20, so it’s time to shake off those winter blues. The best way to do that would be to go outside and enjoy the weather, but before you do that let’s clean up a little after being homebound for so long. We’ve put together a list of spring cleaning chores that you can check off and officially be ready for better days ahead. You feel better already, don’t you?
- Clean your throw rugs and shower curtains. Put them in the washing machine.
- Spray cleanser (your using green products, aren’t you?) around your sink, tubs, showers and bathroom floors. Let the cleanser soak in for 15-20 minutes before you wipe it off. Keep moving.
- Wash your windows and mirrors. Use microfiber cloths that don’t leave lint or an old-t-shirt.
- Wash your linens. Wash them all, including dust ruffles and shams. Be sure any winter bedding is clean and dry before you put it away. Open a window and let your mattress breathe while you wait.
- Clean your blinds and window treatments. You may have to dry clean your drapes.
- Clean and dust all your electronic equipment. Wipe down your TV’s, computers, and everything else with microfiber or electrostatic cloths. Do the same for pictures and wall hangings.
- Vacuum all around. Even vacuum your sofas and chairs.
- Clean the fridge. Make yourself something to eat first, then clean out both the fridge and freezer. Wipe down the shelves and inside walls. Baking soda and hot water are great for that.
- Clean your microwave. Start by boiling some water with lemon juice. The caked-on food should soften right up.
- Clean the stove.
If you are on a roll, here are some more ambitious chores:
- Clean your oven. Clean the racks and take advantage of the self-cleaning feature, if you have one. Check with your community staff if you are unsure how to operate any self-cleaning functions.
- Clean your kitchen cabinets. Wipe down the fronts, shelves and get those crumbs inside the drawers.
- Vacuum your walls and ceilings – Use the brush attachment, so you don’t mark the walls. Wipe down any walls with stains.
- Wipe down wall plates, door knobs, and other places where hands have been.
- Wipe off your light bulbs (turn them off and make sure they are cool first). They’ll be much brighter without all the dust.
- Clean the carpets.
We hope this list helps get you ready for spring. Before you begin, go to the grocery or hardware store and check out the green cleansers. They are so much better for the environment. You can even make your own cleansers, and we have discussed that in previous blog posts.
Now you just need to set enough time aside and do it. Put on those headphones and try to have some fun with it. You’ll be done before you know it. Then go get some ice cream or froyo as a reward for all your hard work. You will then be officially ready for spring!