Planning for a “Green” Halloween
As September comes to a close, it’s time to begin thinking about Halloween! As you plan for all of the festivities this year, make sure to incorporate some of the green ideas below to make it one spooktacular holiday.
Tips to be green this Halloween:
- Buy organic whenever possible. This includes candies for trick or treaters and pumpkins! Buying organic means less harm to our environment during production and transportation as well as healthier ingredients, in general.
- Use your entire pumpkin. Save the seeds and roast them for a yummy treat. Scoop out your pumpkin and make your first round of pumpkin pie. When it is time for your pumpkins to be thrown away, think about composting them instead!
- DIY your own Halloween decorations. See some great ideas below on ways to be the most Eek-O-Friendly home in the building!
- DIY Halloween decorations
- Hold a costume swap. Get everyone together to bring old costumes that they no longer use, see what creative combinations you can put together!
- Go for a reusable trick-or-treating bag. Use what you have around the house such as paper grocery bags or pillow cases and decorate them to be used year after year!
- Walk instead of drive. Stick close to home and walk through all of the floors trick or treating to reduce fuel consumption and pollution. If going to outside parties or neighborhoods, try to carpool as much as possible in order to reduce your environmental impact.
There are many things we can all do as individuals, every day to be more green minded. Holidays are a great opportunity to have a large impact as we tend to splurge on decorations, gifts, party supplies and costumes. Be mindful when you are planning and think of ways you can green up your Halloween!